Festive Filo Parcels
plant based | family food | vegetarian
MADE WITH RICED SWEET POTATO
The combination of chestnuts, vegan mince, sweet potato and spices fuse beautifully inside these filo parcels by @northmeetssouth_. The perfect starter dish for the main event - give them a go!
- 1 Pouch Fullgreen Riced Sweet Potato
- 12 sheets of filo pastry
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 brown onion, diced
- 3 Garlic cloves (crushed)
- 100g chopped tomato
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Fresh oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp pepper
- 250g frozen vegan mince
- 75g chestnuts
- 3 tbsp red wine
- Heat the oven to 350F and take your filo pastry out of the fridge
- In a pan, heat the oil on a medium heat, add the onion and fry until nice and brown.
- Add the chopped garlic and once golden, add the frozen vegan mince, softening as you stir.
- Add the chopped tomato to the mix and stir well.
- Add the spices; paprika, cumin, pepper and cinnamon, then add your dried and fresh herbs (adding a tbsp of water if it gets too dry)
- Chop the chestnuts and toss them in, with the Fullgreen Riced Sweet Potato.
- Add the red wine, turn the hob to low and stir well for another 10 minutes. Taste and season, then leave the mixture to cool.
Method for the filo parcel:
- Lay 3 filo sheets out so they are overlapping at different angles to form stars, then divide the filling into 8 equal pieces, rolling them into balls and flattening slightly to form a disc
- To assemble, place one of the filling discs in the centre of the pastry star, add a tsp of cranberry sauce on top and then pop another filling disc on top.
- Mould the 2 pieces of filling around the sauce to form a ball, ensuring the edges are sealed. Pull the exposed sheets of filo pastry up around the ball and twist the tops together so the pastry parcel is tightly wrapped. Repeat with the other three parcels.
- Brush the parcels with melted butter and pop into the oven for about 20-25 minutes until the filo is nice and golden!
Share this recipe
Sweet Potato with Roasted Tomatoes Made with Sweet Potato
This quick and easy vegetarian meal is perfect for a main meal or side dish and is packed with 3 portions of veg. Serve it steaming hot with your choice of toppings and sides.
Veg Servings 3
Pumpkin, Sage & Roasted Sprout Risotto Made with Cauliflower
This heart-warming festive risotto is a great crowd pleaser and is packed with nutritious veg. Check!
Veg Servings 3